For the Record
"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit."
- John Steinbeck
You and Your Rights
What to Do When You Think Your Rights Have Been Violated
- Read your contract to see if has been violated.
- Seek to resolve problems through discussion with the principal or others.
- Ask for advice from your Site Rep.
- Do not meet with administrators alone if you think the meeting is accusatory. You have a right to Association representation.
- Be sure to get advice early; do not wait to see what happens.
- Don't agree to sign anything or take any action without conferring with a Site Rep first.
- Make no public pronouncements or appear at a public hearing alone.
- Do not involve parents. Keep a diary of what happens and what is said to you.
- Do not make any self-incriminating statements.
- Avoid criticizing your colleagues.
What does the Association Do For You?
- Represents you in all contract negotiations.
- Represents you in meetings with Administrators and Parents if an administrator is to be present. You have the right to have representation in any meeting with an administrator that may result in disciplinary action and the right to stop a meeting if this occurs to demand a reasonable amount of time to obtain representation. If you are denied representation you have the right to choose not to answer any questions until you have representation. This is called your Weingarten Rights.
- Assists you in filing grievances for contract violations
- Provides legal assistance if necessary
- Supports the well being of our members
The Association works for you, but the Association is also you. Without your help and participation, what we can do becomes limited. Please choose to attend site meetings, participate in surveys and/ or become a representative today so that we may continue to support the well being of all our members.
Thank you everyone for your continued support.
Benicia Teacher's Association